Welcome to my blog

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Indefinite detention is coming up again

From Rand2016:

Sometimes my colleagues' callousness toward the very foundations of our country makes my head spin.

If the federal government can arrest you on a whim and throw you in prison for years -- without ever giving you the opportunity to prove your innocence -- what freedoms do you and I really have left?

The fight over the indefinite detention of American citizens in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) strikes at the very heart of our fragile Republic.

It effectively GUTS the 6th Amendment of the Constitution. It effectively places the freedom of every American citizen at the mercy of the federal government.

So when the NDAA comes up for a vote, I'm determined to repeal the indefinite detention language out of the NDAA bill passed in 2011 and reaffirm the 6th Amendment.

But I can't do it without your help.

Won't you please sign the STOP INDEFINITE DETENTION Petition I've made for you, so I can circulate it throughout the Senate?

During the last fight over indefinite detention, the U.S. Senate passed an amendment curtailing its use.

But sadly, it was abandoned in a conference committee and never made in to the final version.

I know some of my colleagues hem and haw at you and me for daring to stand up for our constitutional freedoms.

They say, “What's the big deal? The federal government will never abuse its power.”

After the NSA spying scandals and the IRS targeting of conservative political organizations, Americans aren't buying that argument any longer.

So this time, if you and I can turn up enough heat, I'm convinced the story will be different.

The Founders understood that men are corrupt and too much power in the hands of a few is incredibly dangerous.

They didn't even trust each other with this kind of power!

And they understood that our Creator endowed each of us with certain inalienable rights.

Today, those rights are under assault like never before.

It's up to you and me to protect them.

So please sign your STOP INDEFENITE DETENTION Petition TODAY, so I can show my colleagues that you simply won't stand by while they destroy the very foundations of our Republic.

And if you can please make a generous contribution of $250, $100, $50 or $35 to help me mobilize Americans all over the country to this critical fight through email, direct mail, online and social media ads, I'd truly appreciate it.

If that is too much for you to afford, even chipping in a contribution of $25 or $10 would be a tremendous help.

Your generosity will help me turn up the heat on my colleagues even more.

So won't you please act right away?

Please sign your STOP INDEFINITE DETENTION Petition right away.

And if you can, please agree to your most generous contribution of $250, $100, $50, $25 or even $10 right away.

In Liberty,

Senator Rand Paul

P.S. Do you believe our federal government should have the power to lock American citizens up and throw away the key – all without trial?

I think this is madness. And so did our nation's Founders.

That's why it's vital you sign your STOP INDEFINITE DETENTION Petition and agree to your most generous contribution of $250, $100, $50, $25 or even $10 TODAY.

Click to sign

No comments: