Welcome to my blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

Make Congress read the bills before they pass them

From Rand2016:

The days of my colleagues just ramming legislation through the U.S. Congress without reading them has to end.

Who can forget those words from 2010 when Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi stated, “we have to pass the [ObamaCare] bill so that you can find out what’s in it . . .”?

Members of Congress may not have known what was in the bill then.

But today, the American people are finding out firsthand what’s in the law in the form of cancelled health insurance plans, skyrocketing premiums, new taxes, lost jobs, cut hours and government red tape.

That’s why, late last week, I introduced three different bills designed to put a stop to this madness.

I know my colleagues in Congress will just want to ignore them. But with your action today, my hope is they’ll quickly realize that’s just not an option.

So won’t you please fill out your Congressional Transparency Survey right away to show where you stand?

I hope you will.

I believe these three bills will dramatically improve Congressional transparency by:

***ENDING the practice of Congress unconstitutionally handing unelected government bureaucrats the authority to draft legislation by allowing them to craft major regulations with only token oversight (S.1663);

***STOPPING the practice of packing legislation with multiple unrelated subjects to hide the overall effects of the bill (S.1664);

***FORCING my colleagues to read the bills they’re voting on by requiring bills to be read in their entirety in both houses of Congress (S.1665).

If you agree, I hope you’ll agree to fill out your Congressional Transparency Survey right away.

After all, when it comes to ever-encroaching government spying on our lives you and I hear all the time, “If you’re not doing any thing wrong, what do you have to worry about?

But when it comes to transparency in our federal government, many of those same voices do everything they can to keep their actions behind closed doors!

And I can tell you personally, members of Congress continually support doing the wrong things for America.

ObamaCare is just one prime example.

But what about our $17 TRILLION national debt?

What about the fight over gun control, which is still raging?

What about the 1,300 page so-called “Immigration Reform” bill the Senate rammed through without anyone reading it?

One sure way to put an end to this madness is to force Congress to open its doors, open its books and do its job.

If you agree, please fill out your Congressional Transparency Survey TODAY.

And, if you possibly can, please agree to your most generous contribution of $250, $100, $50, $35, $25 or $10 right away!

As I mentioned, my colleagues will do everything they can to stop these bills from even reaching the Senate floor for a vote.

But your signed survey – along with surveys from millions of other Americans – will help prove to them that you’re insisting on action.

Through email, Internet ads and mail, my plan is to dramatically increase the heat on my colleagues.

But I’m counting on your support to make that happen.

Won’t you agree to a generous contribution of $250, $100, $50 or $35 TODAY?

I know that’s a lot. I know that’s more than you’ve given in the past. But this fight is just that important.

If $ is just too much, please agree to chip in a contribution of $25 or at least $20 right away.

Without your support, there’s no way I can turn up enough heat on my colleagues in Congress to force action.

You’re the key.

The great news is, whether it’s halting President Obama’s push for gun control, forcing his administration’s hand after my 13-hour Senate filibuster or stopping the misguided march to war in Syria, your action is proven to make a difference.

So please fill out your survey IMMEDIATELY.

And, if you possibly can, please agree to your most generous contribution of $250, $100, $50, $35, $25 or at least $10 TODAY!

In Liberty,

Senator Rand Paul

P.S. The days of my colleagues just ramming legislation through the U.S. Congress without reading them must end.

That’s why, late last week, I introduced three different bills designed to put a stop to this madness and improve overall Congressional transparency.

I know my colleagues in Congress will just want to ignore them. But with your action today, my hope is they’ll quickly realize that’s just not an option.

So please fill out your Congressional Transparency Survey right away and agree to your most generous contribution of $250, $100, $50, $35, $25 or at


Take the survey

No comments: