Welcome to my blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Support The Due Process Guarantee

From Rand2016:

There is only one way to describe detaining a U.S. citizen indefinitely and denying them a trial by jury: Un-American.

If the federal government can arrest you, throw you in prison for years, and strip away your due process rights to prove your innocence, our Republic is sliding into dangerous territory.

That’s why I’m introducing – along with Senator Mike Lee and others - the Due Process Guarantee to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

This amendment blocks indefinite detention of American citizens without being charged and denying them a jury trial unless there is a vote in Congress.

Will you stand with me in the fight against indefinite detention?

I’m running for President to defeat the Washington Machine on EVERY front.

Just last week, you and I took a step toward restoring the Fourth Amendment in my filibuster to end illegal NSA spying.

But now, our Sixth Amendment rights to a speedy and public trial are threatened by the indefinite detention language in the NDAA.

Some of my colleagues will claim we should “trust the government” because this power will never be abused.

I REFUSE to trust President Obama where matters of Constitutional principle are at stake.

Not when the Director of National Intelligence lies to Congress about the existence of the NSA’s illegal spying program and still has a job.

And not when the IRS targeted Tea Party groups for political harassment.

I believe you and I were endowed by our Creator with inalienable rights.

And those include the right to be free from an Orwellian policy that allows the government to toss American citizens in prison while denying them the ability to prove their innocence.

This is a fight you and I can win.

In 2012, a conference committee killed an amendment the Senate passed stripping the indefinite detention language out of the NDAA.

But after hundreds of thousands of Americans stood with me in my showdown with President Obama over illegal NSA spying, you and I proved the grassroots turning up the heat can push our government toward protecting the Bill of Rights.

A vote could come as soon as this week.

So I’m counting on your support right away.

Please add your name to my fight against the Washington Machine’s attack on due process by signing your “STOP INDEFINITE DETENTION” petition right away.

After you sign your petition, please chip in a contribution of $20.16 to help me mobilize a movement to defeat the Washington Machine by standing for the Bill of Rights.

The Washington Machine hasn’t given up attacking our liberties.

It’s up to you and me to defend them.

In Liberty,

Rand Paul

No comments: